Diabetes is one of the common chronic diseases that is quite prevalent in India. One must manage blood sugar levels effectively as it can lead to other health complications including heart disease, eye disorders, stroke, kidney damage and nerve damage in others. Diabetic patients can control and control blood sugar levels with the help of diet. Diet plays a very important role for them as it can either spoil your health or make you healthier.
So, that’s why diabetic-friendly foods like dry fruits and nuts should be included. Nuts are the powerhouse of nutrients and today we are talking about a specific dried fruit that is helpful for diabetic patients- pistachio. Pistachio is one of the healthiest snacks that are loaded with protein, good fats, fibre, potassium and antioxidants. Read on to know why diabetics should include pistachios in their diet.
1. One of the major reasons why you should include them in the diet is that pistachios have a low glycemic index. A diabetic will not experience an increase in blood sugar levels after pistachio intake. Take them before meals to control your body’s response to food.
2. Pistachio can also control blood pressure and cholesterol levels and in turn helps to make your heart healthy.
3. According to a study that was published in the Journal of the American Heart Association. Eating pistachios may reduce the vascular (blood vessels-related) response to stress in type 2 diabetes.
4. According to the same study, when two servings of pistachios were consumed by diabetic patients every day, they showed reduced body response to stress and improvement in heart functions.
5. Following the pistachio diet, researchers observed that blood vessels remain more relaxed and open during stress testing.
NB: There is nothing good in extras. Therefore, ensure them in moderation and consult your doctor before making changes in diet.